Stylish curtains will be appropriate in the interior of most residential and office premises, but to hang them in a room, a cornice of a specific design is required.
Following is information about the various types of curtain rods, which will help you navigate the variety of these devices and choose the suitable model.
1. Curtain rods with a round bar-holder
Device and features
This is the traditional type of curtain rod. The design of such a cornice is a long cylindrical rod fixed above the window opening with two or three brackets. It can be split, sliding, or solid, which is often determined by the size of the window. The fastening of such a structure is performed only to the wall. Curly tips are often used to give the product a complete shape. Cornices of this type are considered universal. They are suitable for rooms with any design style and can withstand quite heavy loads.
Cornices with a round bar-holder according to the number of rows
Depending on the cut, the number of canvases is hung, one to three independent rows of fabric may require, each of which must be suspended from its rod. The more of them, the broader the designer’s possibilities, but the higher the requirements for the product’s durability become.
Single row cornices
A single-row cornice is perfect for hanging two halves of sliding curtains, which will be a good match for a strict type of interior.
Despite its apparent simplicity, this design provides many advantages:
- Low weight. The simplified design will not cause problems for installation, even on walls with a low load-bearing capacity. This option can even be suitable for fastening drywall sheets.
- The compact size will allow you to place the curtains in a confined space very close to the wall.
- Due to the simple assembly, single-row cornices can be of any length. In this case, a minimum number of connecting elements will be required, which will ensure a sufficient level of reliability.
- Low consumption of materials used favorably affects the price of single-row cornices, which is essential for saving the family budget.
In recent years, grommet curtains have become more popular, characterized by a beautiful wavy surface and the convenience of adjusting the selected position. They are ideal for installation on a single-row cylindrical rod curtain rod.
Two rows make it possible to combine various curtains on the window, including curtains, tulle, lambrequin. Curtain rods of this type, while remaining compact, must withstand significant loads. They are often combined when a wide rod made of natural wood is located on the outside, and inside there is a small metal guide.
The highest demands are placed on the strength of the three-row models. Straight vertical curtains, lambrequins, and tulle hang on them simultaneously, and sometimes more complex combinations of canvases. They can only be fixed to secure walls.
The main advantages of such cornices:
- Classicism or baroque style is the best option for complex compositions, which does not exclude their use in a modern interior.
- Suitable for hanging large curtains. This helps you to conceal some of the interiors or outside engineering communications flaws.
- Due to the potentially high workloads, the highest quality materials are usually used to manufacture such products.
Due to the more complex design and significant weight, installing a three-row curtain rod may take a little more time, which will be compensated for by their versatility and reliability.
The difference in the material of manufacture
The durability and functionality of the curtain rods are primarily determined by the material from which they are made.
Wood is a classic material for most elements of indoor decoration. Wooden curtain rods remain relevant due to their reasonable price and beautiful appearance. They are an indispensable attribute of rooms decorated in country or Provence style. They have an excellent load-bearing capacity and long service life. Their only drawback is their susceptibility to environmental conditions. They should not be exposed to prolonged exposure to direct sunlight, contact with moisture, and frequent temperature changes.
Metal-plastic is a budget option designed to imitate natural materials, including wood. Newly purchased products from it can look impressive, but they quickly lose their performance.
Metal curtain rods have increased strength and are designed for long service life. They are made from various steel alloys or aluminum. To give the surfaces a beautiful appearance, they are usually chrome-plated, applied with a golden or bronze sheen, or painted with persistent enamels of different colors. Manufacturers of such curtain rods pay great attention to various tips that fit a particular room decoration style. With high reliability, metal structures are much heavier than alternative options. They require anchoring to solid walls using quality fixing hardware. This cannot be neglected because when falling from a height, such a cornice can injure or damage nearby objects.
2. Tire curtain rods (rail)
Device and features
The main element of a tire cornice is a panel of complex profiles made of metal or plastic. In its lower part, there are longitudinal slots, along which the hooks with the canvas suspended from them slide freely. The number of grooves can be up to four, which expands the choice of used curtains. A modest electric motor and remote control are included in the most advanced variants. Rail systems have a wide range of prices, but their main segment is acceptable for most buyers.
Tire curtain rods have high strength and wear resistance. Most of them are lightweight. This allows them to be attached to “double” walls with a surface made of plastic or drywall, but the fasteners must fit into the supporting frame elements made of profiled metal or wooden battens.
Busbar curtain rods for fastening
Busbar curtain rods are located at the very junction of the ceiling and wall. The relative ease of their design suggests two possible installation options.
It was the tire models of the curtain rods that were developed initially for fixing the roof. This is facilitated by their broad, almost flat shape, enabling easy and secure ceiling fixing.
In cases where the load-bearing capacity of the ceiling is insufficient, the rail curtain rods are attached to the wall. To do this, use special brackets with an L-shaped support part.
Tire curtain rods by the presence of a baguette
Busbar curtain rods can have a classic design with a strict design or be decorated with a decorative baguette.
Open models have only a practical purpose. They are suitable for strict interiors in the style of constructivism or should be hidden by the upper edges of the curtains attached to them. Their main advantage is reliability and functionality at the lowest cost.
With a baguette
The purpose of the baguette is to close the hooks and brackets from prying eyes, which can be discordant with the rest of the room’s interior. With the right choice of model, this decorative element serves as a beautiful frame for curtains.
The advantages of this option:
- The entire area around the window looks harmonious without visible technical details.
- The decorative panel fencing the space reduces the amount of dust falling on moving and rubbing surfaces. This improves slip and increases product life.
Tire curtain rods by a material of manufacture
Tire curtain rods should be as strong as possible with minimum dead weight. Wear-resistant plastic and aluminum meet these criteria. Both options are highly reliable but have some design and operational features.
Plastic curtain rods can have from one to four longitudinal grooves. They are easy to install and do not cause any maintenance problems. They can be painted in various shades, but white is considered a classic.
Their main advantages are:
- High aesthetics, especially when using a side trim strip.
- Minimum thickness for ease of installation and optimal use of space.
- Low weight with significant bearing capacity.
- Durability. Polyvinyl chloride plastic is one of the most resilient construction materials, able to maintain its structure when exposed to moisture, ultraviolet radiation, and frequently changing temperatures.
- Low price compared to metal models.
Aluminum lends itself easily to smooth bending. It can be used to make complex products for arched or non-standard window openings. Metal is superior to plastic in terms of strength and durability. It can withstand shock loads more efficiently. It can be hung with additional equipment, including an electric drive. For the price, aluminum curtain rods are somewhat more expensive than plastic ones.
Aluminum curtain rods can be made from the following profile types:
1. The I-profile is used for the production of single-row busbar curtain rods.
2. The KS profile is used for the production of double-row cornices.
3. The CKS profile has three parallel grooves and is used for three-row curtain rods.
3. Flexible cornices
Device and features
Flexible curtain rods are specially designed for installation in the area of windows with complex opening configurations. Their main element is a supporting profile, given the necessary shape by a person’s hands. It can be cut into appropriate length sections and then joined together to form a longer piece. Models available for wall and ceiling mounting. The correct installation of the brackets is of great importance, which should be located at the manufacturer’s recommended distance from each other. The stability of the structure depends on this and its ability to maintain the configuration set by the master.
Due to its compact size, the profile can be located at a minimum distance from the junction of the walls and ceiling.
Flexible eaves for bay window
In modern construction, you can increasingly find buildings with bay windows. They can be semicircular, multifaceted, with solid or divided into several sections window openings. For durable and beautiful placement of various curtains on them, flexible curtain rods are used. They can follow the wall line, preventing jamming of the runners with hooks moving along the profile.
The advantages of such systems:
- insignificant dead weight;
- suitable for curtains of any cut and design complexity;
- have no length restrictions and can be perfectly adjusted to any size;
- the kit takes up a minimum of space during storage and transportation;
- able to withstand frequent fluctuations in temperature and humidity;
- They are sold at an affordable price.
Flexible wall cornices
Cornices of this type will be relevant in rooms with suspended or suspended ceilings that cannot bear an additional load. They are attached to solid walls at a convenient height for the owner. They work great in rooms with a semicircular or broken exterior wall line.
Their main advantages:
- can take any shape and cover a section of any length;
- it is convenient to store and transport them;
- they are characterized by a minimum dead weight but have a high bearing capacity;
- tolerate physical stress well, do not rust, work reliably in a wide range of temperatures and humidity of the ambient air;
- Have an acceptable cost.
Flexible ceiling cornices
Flexible ceiling curtain rods must be attached to floor slabs or purpose-built solid substrates. They are usually made from an aluminum profile, brackets, and end caps adapted to it. They have an increased bearing capacity. As a result, they can be used with any curtain. With their help, you can arrange the space near the window or doorway, divide the room into functional zones, or make an original screen.
The advantages of this type of cornice:
- high reliability and durability;
- the ability to use in non-standard situations;
- the ability to create structures of any length and configuration;
- light weight;
- Good cost.
Ceiling cornices can be single-row or connected in any number of parallel rows.
4. String cornices
Device and features
String cornices have the most uncomplicated design of all possible options. They consist of two metal brackets with a string stretched between them. It is made from stainless steel or high-strength polymer fibers. It remains almost invisible, which gives the curtains an airy impression.
Curtain rods of this type are only suitable for hanging the lightest canvases on them. For this, tulle or other fabrics with a minimum specific weight will fit. Even in this case, the lateral load on the brackets will be significant, and the string will inevitably sag over time, acquiring the shape of a smooth arc. The designers have provided the possibility of additional tension in this case, which will correct the situation but only for a short time.
Ceiling cornices, due to high loads, should only be attached to solid building parts. These can be floor slabs or support joists of wooden ceilings. They have wide brackets fixed with 2-4 dowels or self-tapping screws.
The system usually consists of a pair of tension members located at the edges of the structure, to which, with a long string length, central supports can be added to prevent significant sagging. The vast majority of such devices are made single-string.
wall-mounted models are not much different from ceiling-mounted ones, but they have more possible design solutions. They can be attached to the wall along which the string is stretched or two opposite ones connected by it. With a short length, variants of two or even three columns are used, but one is still a priority.