We have to admit that we often live in moderate or even small accommodation. And this is more often the case in city apartments. Thus, we find ourselves with small kitchens most of the time, which becomes a real headache to arrange to obtain maximum efficiency. Here are some tips and tricks to make a small kitchen functional, practical, and always friendly.
First of all, we start by sorting out to keep only the essentials. There is no need to keep old plates and glasses more in great shape. Then comes the time of organization, arrangement, and decoration. Remember to use every nook and cranny to make the most of the space. To give the appearance of a larger kitchen, opt for closed storage and a kitchen with light colors.
Small kitchen: the 4 essential types of equipment
- A work surface: it is essential for cooking, but in a small kitchen, it is not easy to install it. In this way, place it between the sink and the hobs to maintain a circulation area.
- The sink opts for a 40 or 50 cm wide sink in a small kitchen with a drainer part to optimize space.
- The cooking plates: choose a two-burner plate to save a few centimeters on the worktop.
- A combined oven (oven + microwave): the 2-in-1 appliance, built into the wall, saves you space in the small kitchen.
Our tips for arranging the small kitchen
- Lighting: in the small kitchen, lighting is essential. Install spotlights on either side of the room and neon all along the worktop. You can then cook in a bright room.
- Storage: choose kitchen furniture with plain fronts, which you install up to the ceiling. You will not lack storage, and you can optimize the kitchen.
- Color: In a small kitchen, choose light and natural colors to expand the space visually. You can enhance the whole thing by painting only the window sills a bright shade.
- A canopy can destroy the partition between the kitchen and the living room to install a canopy. You thus bring a real luminosity that will visually enlarge the room and offer a feeling of space.
What decoration in a small kitchen?
The decor may not be essential in a kitchen. However, it invites conviviality and makes cooking more pleasant. A few vintage trinkets to give an extra touch, frames attached to the wall, or even wallpaper on a strip can really add allure to your room. The key is to decorate sparingly so as not to overwhelm this small space. You can also adopt one or two houseplants that will purify the air in the kitchen.
Small contemporary kitchen
Small trendy u-shaped medium tone wood floor and beige floor eat-in kitchen design in Moscow with flat-panel cabinets, beige cabinets, solid surface countertops, white backsplash, porcelain backsplash, black appliances and white countertops.
Open concept kitchen design
Small danish l-shaped ceramic tile and beige floor open concept kitchen design in Other with an undermount sink, recessed-panel cabinets.
Contemporary Small kitchen
Environment with orange decor and black refrigerator
Kitchen with furniture designed in light joinery, orange decor and black refrigerator.
Light wood countertops and white stools
Compact kitchen with wooden countertops, stools with white upholstery, wall clock, cabinet with niches, microwave, electric oven and lighting.
Black rail lighting and granite countertops
Compact kitchen with white woodwork, granite countertops with built-in cooktop and white brick wall.
Cabinet in black joinery and cement floor
Environment with burnt cement floor, furniture in black joinery, granite countertops with cooktop and stool with wooden seat.
Red glass inserts and custom furniture
Compact kitchen with furniture designed in light joinery, black granite countertops, double stainless steel vats and wall with red inserts.
Kitchen with Niche Decorated with Pictures
Granite countertops and built-in mirrored stove
Compact kitchen with white furniture, mirrored built-in stove, granite countertops and stainless steel refrigerator.
Top cabinet with reflective door and black bench
Kitchen with furniture planned in gray joinery, upper doors made of reflective glass, granite countertops and partition with wooden slats.
Black rail lighting and wood furniture
Kitchen with wood furniture, black rail lighting, yellow wooden countertops and mirrored wall.
Red cladding and white custom furniture
Kitchen with red cladding on the wall, furniture designed in white joinery, gray granite countertops with built-in tub and stainless steel hood.
Yellow countertops and wood furniture
Kitchen with yellow countertops, wall with matte slate, furniture designed in woodwork and black refrigerator.
Gray-clad flooring and custom furniture
Compact kitchen with gray coating on the floor, furniture in white joinery, silestone countertop and wall with glass inserts.