New ideas for wall decoration appear in interior design every year, which, if not surprising, then undoubtedly deserve attention. Laminate on the wall is one of the most exciting ways to decorate. Floor covering first appeared in the early 70s of the 20th century. And every decade, the area of its application has gradually grown. Today it is a versatile finishing material for all surfaces in the home, from kitchen countertops to ceiling beams. A vast assortment of textures and patterns allows you to use suitable material on the walls of any room.
Advantages and disadvantages
Decorating surfaces with laminate is a budget alternative to expensive solid wood or MDF panels. The advantages of the material, proven for decades, have found application in designer interiors. The laminate on the wall looks attractive, expensive, and noble. At the same time, the cost of registration is at the level of branded wallpapers. The advantages of finishing are apparent:
- high aesthetic properties – laminate flooring allows you to create unique decor, including complex combinations of textures and colors;
- Environmental friendliness – the board does not emit harmful substances even when heated so that It is safe to use in bedrooms and children’s rooms.
- Durability – the average life of a laminate on the floor is 10-15 years under intense stress. On the walls, the indicator has practically no restrictions;
- Easy maintenance – the laminate has antistatic properties, and almost no dust settles on it. Therefore, it is enough to regularly wipe the coating to maintain a bright initial appearance for many years;
- Simple installation – no preliminary leveling of the walls is required, the lamellas are fixed with a lock or laid on glue, all the work can be done in one day, even on your own.
The laminate has no drawbacks. Some subtleties need to be considered when working with lamellas. For example, walls should use laminate class 21 or 22 (light to moderate load). The weight of such a laminate is much less than that of a floorboard. Therefore, the load on the supporting structures is reduced, and it becomes possible to arrange plasterboard partitions. You should purchase a material that is resistant to water and temperature extremes for rooms with high humidity.
Lamels give unlimited freedom to creativity. Laminate flooring resembles a mosaic with which you can experiment endlessly. But it should be borne in mind: the more complex the design, the more expensive the finishing will eventually cost. The simplest and most popular styling methods:
- Horizontally. The lamellas are mounted parallel to the floor. The technique visually expands the space, stretches it in length or width (depending on the type of wall). According to the basic design rules, for large rooms, a comprehensive and the longboard is chosen, for small spaces – narrow and short;
- Vertically. This method of wall decoration is used in rooms with low ceilings. The solution allows you to increase the height of the room, add volume. The laminate on the wall looks especially impressive, matching in color and texture with the flooring;
- Diagonally. The original decor can be used in rooms of all sizes. The decoration in the corridors looks especially good. The combination of laminate and sophisticated lighting makes the interior unusual and ultramodern.
Laminate is a type of wall covering that is used in the interior. Not recommended for use on all surfaces at once. With the help of textured slats, individual accents are created. For example, over the soft area in the living room or the bed in the bedroom, the laminate looks elegant and smooth. If the entire room is sheathed, it will already resemble a hunting lodge or a bath complex.
Wall decoration with laminate in the rooms of a residential building
Original wall decoration with lamellas can significantly change the perception of space. A single accent wall in dark or light shades makes the room cozy and soft, solemn, formal, luxurious, and rustic. The main thing is to follow the general rules for combining colors, textures, and sizes.
In The Bedroom
Designers prefer to highlight only one zone in the bedroom with laminate. The “wooden” wall at the head of the bed looks very interesting, flowing smoothly into the back and then into the floor. The effect of “cocoon” is created, which implies smoothing sharp corners and the absence of contrasting transitions.
Decorating the wall opposite the bed will also be a good solution. Soft, woody shades have a calming effect on the psyche, contribute to relaxation and quick sleep. It is crucial to choose a neutral palette of the laminate so that the bedroom becomes genuinely cozy.
Spectacular accents in the living room
The laminate on the wall in the living room performs two functions at once – decorative and practical. So, decorating a wall with a TV with lamellas makes it possible to hide all cables from media equipment. The woody structure above the temperate zone enlivens the interior and, at the same time, gives a purely homely atmosphere. A laminate wall above a fireplace or bookcases looks no less impressive. The noble and cozy “library” look encourages relaxed contemplation or friendly conversation.
You can decorate the wall with a laminate of any color and complexity of the pattern in the living room. The main thing is that the decor is in harmony with the furniture, artificial lighting, and flooring.
In The Kitchen
Designers do not recommend using conventional laminate flooring to decorate the walls in the kitchen. Humidity, unstable temperature conditions, fat are the natural enemies of traditional lamellas. Here it is necessary to use materials adapted for use in an aggressive environment. Laminated chipboard or MDF countertops are prime examples of which lamellas can be used in the kitchen.
It’s worth booking a reservation as soon as possible: even the highest quality laminate used in the manufacture of countertops has a limited service life. The decorative wall will inevitably darken, or critical defects will appear on it. In 5-7 years, this design will have to be changed.
Bathroom and laminate compatibility
Fashionable eco-design has not spared the most “extreme” room in the house – the bathroom. High humidity and constant temperature drops require increased strength from finishing materials. Laminate, even of the highest load class, will not work here. Over time, the material will lose its geometry, delaminate and swell. An alternative is an imitation of a laminated board made of composite materials: porcelain stoneware, plastic, ceramic with wood texture – the best choice for the bathroom.
In The Corridor
The entrance hall is almost the best place in the house, where the laminate on the wall looks “like a native.” As a rule, the wall opposite the front door is chosen for decoration.
Laminate is a type of wall covering used in the interior—stylish, fashionable, and convenient. Finishing has become a design classic, so it will not lose its relevance even after 15 years. So the decorative wall will be in trend for a long time.