A log canopy is one of the most straightforward structures. It can be done with minimal carpentry and construction skills. At the same time, it will take only a few days to create the structure. However, to ensure the durability of the design and the safety of its operation, it is essential to know how to choose the suitable material for construction and the technology of work.
Benefits and functional features of log awnings
A do-it-yourself log structure has many advantages:
- Ease of material preparation;
- Ease of installation of the building;
- Environmental friendliness of the design;
- The possibility of using various design solutions in the design and at the stage of creating a building;
- The low weight of the structure;
- Low cost.
One of the main advantages and functional features of a log canopy is its versatility. Such a building can be an alternative to a garage to shelter the car from rain or direct sunlight. You can also store building materials or firewood under it. At the same time, the absence of walls will allow you to place almost any things and tools freely, and the roof will protect them from various atmospheric phenomena.
If necessary, the building can be used as a gazebo for relaxing and receiving guests, placing garden furniture, and even a barbecue there. Small outbuildings can easily replace the porch.
Material selection criteria for construction
Before starting work on the manufacture of a canopy, you should consider several essential rules when choosing materials:
- For the manufacture of supports, it is best to use rounded logs with 10-20 cm diameter. Also, glued or profiled beams 10-15 cm in a diagonal cut are suitable for such work. When creating a small canopy for use as a porch, the support posts can be made from logs with a diameter of 5-6 cm, or you can use beams in the sizes 4×5, 5×5, 6×4, 6×5, or 6×6.
- The type of roofing material used is determined by the canopy and the rafter system’s construction. Polycarbonate is a versatile material. It has a low weight, so it does not weigh down the extension and can also fit any shed. Decking is also a suitable option. It has a low cost and can quickly work on both a shed and a gable roof. Soft tiles can also be used as a roofing material. However, this material requires tight sheathing. With its help, it is convenient to cover roofs in a dome or a tent.
- The height of any log shed located on the street should not be less than 2 m.In the absence of special requirements for this parameter, the optimal size is 2.5 m.
- An extension to the house looks more harmonious if it is carried out over the entire length of the adjacent wall.
- In terms of its dimensions, the structure erected at the porch should move 30 cm from the steps in both directions.
- A building to be used as a resting place must have a minimum of 2 m 2 per person. At the same time, the optimal size of a canopy for a barbecue is 6×4 m.
Types of structures
Depending on the location of the building, sheds are divided into the following types:
- Autonomous, or free-standing;
- Attached. On one or two of their sides, the structures are in contact with the primary residential or outbuildings;
- Decorative. They are free-standing structures in which the crate from above is not covered with a dense roof. Usually, when using a canopy, a temporary shelter made of light or thick fabric is attached to the crate;
- Built-in. One or more of their components combine several separate buildings.
Self-contained buildings are most often used as recreation areas. However, they are often used to shelter a car from bad weather.
Also, awnings are classified according to the type of roof structure:
- With a bias;
In this case, the roof with a slope can be either single-slope or double-slope. Straight tops are the easiest to manufacture. Structures of complex shapes involve using several types of roofs at once or one common one, however, having the form of a polyhedron, oval, wave, or any other.
Autonomous carport construction technology
Before making an autonomous shed of logs, for the subsequent placement of a machine under it, it is essential to familiarize yourself in detail with the technology of work. At the same time, construction should be carried out in stages, with a precise sequence of actions:
- Calculations of the required materials are made, and a drawing of the future design is completed.
- All materials and tools necessary for work are being prepared.
- A place reserved for the construction is being prepared.
- Installation and assembly of structural elements are in progress.
Failure to comply with the technology of work may lead to the manufacture of an unreliable structure.
Calculation and drawing
The calculation of the required amount of basic building materials is carried out based on the estimated dimensions of the future building:
- Assuming placement under a car canopy, its length can be up to 6 m. For the convenience of parking a vehicle, the canopy length should be the length of the car, increased by 2.5-3 m.
- The width of the structure is calculated based on the dimensions of the vehicle. It should be 1 meter longer than the machine.
- When using a canopy of logs to shelter a car from bad weather, the height of the building is 2.5 m. For trucks and special equipment, the size of the canopy is taken such that when driving under the ceiling, at least 30-40 cm of free space remains above the roof of the vehicle.
- The maximum distance between the support posts should be 3.5 m. The best option for making a carport from logs is to use six supports, three on each side.
When calculating the number and length of logs required to create supports, it is necessary to consider the type of roof of the building. For straight and gable logs, all registers must be the same length. One-half of the records should be tall enough to ensure the roof’s requisite angle of inclination when making a pitched roof. However, for constructing an autonomous shed, a gable type of roof is most often used.
The drawing of the future structure can be carried out without observing the proportions, however, with the obligatory indication of all the elements necessary for the construction and their dimensions.
Tools and materials
To create a canopy from logs, you will need the following construction tools and consumables:
- Hand drill or shovel;
- Screwdriver or screwdrivers;
- A wheelbarrow or container for earth and rubbish;
- Building level;
- Pencil or marker for marking logs and wooden beams;
- A set of keys;
- Fasteners in the form of nails, screws, bolts, galvanized screws, as well as corners;
- Antiseptic solution for processing wood from decay and parasites;
- Bituminous mastic. It is necessary for processing logs in places where they are buried in the ground. It is a waterproofing material and helps to protect the wood from decay;
- Cement and sand or crushed stone;
- Bars, to create a lathing under the roof;
- Roofing material.
When using the corrugated board as a roofing material, you will need a welding machine and a hacksaw for metal or a grinder for its cutting and installation.
This stage includes preparing the wood for use. In two layers, all wooden elements must be treated with an antiseptic. Part of the logs that will be buried in the ground must be additionally treated with bitumen mastic.
Also, during preparation, markings are applied to a site suitable for construction. The territory for construction is thoroughly cleaned of debris and leveled. According to the diagram, the place of installation of each support log is marked. At these points, with the help of a hand drill or a shovel, log pits are prepared, which will hold the carport. All wood elements must be treated twice with an antimicrobial. The minimum indentation should be 50 cm.
Fixing the posts and assembling the roof
In assembling the structure, supporting rounded logs, to the top of which the visors will be attached, are inserted into the prepared pits. After leveling the pillar, the cavity around it is filled up and tamped with crushed stone or filled with pre-mixed cement. When using glue, further work can be carried out only after the composition has completely hardened.
Subsequent actions have the following sequence:
- From above, all the logs are connected along the perimeter and across by wooden bars. Self-tapping screws can be used to fix these load-bearing beams. The dimensions of the beams can be 10×10 cm.
- The load-bearing beams are additionally reinforced with spacers that are attached to both sides of each support log. Beams or boards with dimensions of 5×10 cm can be used as load-bearing beams.
- Rafters of 15×5 cm beams are mounted to the load-bearing beams at a distance of 10-12 cm from each other.
- Across the rafters in the upward direction, boards or beams with dimensions of 10×5 cm are mounted. Their fastening is carried out using corners and self-tapping screws. The height of the elements depends on where they are placed. In the middle of the rafters, these boards for the top of the ends have the largest size, gradually decreasing towards the edges of the structure.
- The beams that form the top of the ends are connected to the load-bearing beams using inclined rafters.
At the end of the work, roofing material is laid on top of the inclined rafters. At the same time, the canopy looks beyond the level of placement of supporting rounded logs. This will protect the car standing under the building and the wooden supports themselves from the effects of atmospheric agents. The end parts of the roof can be covered with boards or with a solid sheet of plywood of a suitable shape.
Having suburban real estate, many owners are thinking about modern methods of saving electricity and, possibly, preserving the ecology of our planet. These owners have an excellent alternative to the traditional sources of electricity. These, namely, solar panels, need to be installed on the roof of any of your buildings.