A living room and a bedroom in one room are reasonably standard layout options for a small city apartment or studio. Combining two zones in a single space is the best solution for those who cannot increase the footage of their housing for one reason or another. Often these are young families who are just getting on their feet or singles who have decided on an independent life in their apartment. How to properly divide the hall into two zones: a living room and a bedroom, to be as comfortable and cozy as possible?
Advantages and Disadvantages
There are so many positive and negative sides to the bedroom combined with the living room.
|An excellent opportunity to create your private one, even in a small one-room apartment.||Insufficient level of soundproofing of the sleeping area.|
|Make the most of your free space.||The combined bedroom is no longer as private as if it were located in a separate room.|
|An original and exciting design is obtained in the combined room.||Decorating the bedroom-living room interior requires a more severe and thorough approach.|
Features of combining several functional areas in a room
There are many options for dividing a room into a living room and a bedroom, which allows you to choose the appropriate strategy and act, creating the most practical and comfortable interior. It is good when the original room is significant, as is the case in studio apartments, but in small spaces, you have to freak out, figuring out how to place furniture more compactly in different zones.
The most convenient and popular method for solving the above problem is multifunctional furniture, which is easy to rearrange, unfold and fold. Often these are various models of folding sofas and armchairs. But not everything is rosy here. Yes, such models save space well. They can be used in the smallest living room. However, it should be understood that you will have to carry out manipulations of folding and unfolding the same sofa every morning and evening. It takes time and working or intensively studying, and people sometimes do not have extra minutes. It often happens that the owners of folding furniture are sometimes too lazy to tinker with it. As a result, comfort turns into a mess.
The first option is not very suitable for a modern living room bedroom; in the photo with the interiors, you can often find more non-standard and convenient combination options. To not waste time on daily fiddling with furniture, it is crucial to divide the space into sleeping and to receive guests correctly. Using various design techniques, you can create such an interior that the sleeping and guest areas will create a single composition without interfering with each other. A wide range of modern furniture models and finishing materials allows you to create a room with any interior.
People choose a minimalist style of thinking over the interior for the living room and bedroom in the same room. Photos of such rooms clearly show how such a room will look.
Here are some guidelines for small rooms:
- Do not buy bulky furniture in the house;
- Try to choose models with a simple design; if these are cabinets and shelves, let them be on high legs, with glass inserts in the doors or through;
- Do not use wallpaper with a large pattern in wall decoration – they will visually reduce the space; the same rule applies to window curtains;
- For the background, use finishing materials of a single color, and for brightness, you can decorate the walls with panels or photographs.
Since the decor uses simple furniture models and monochromatic finishes, the interior of the living room bedroom will be bland. You can add comfort and brightness with the help of color accents. Decorate the sofa with bright pillows, put a living flower in a pot on the shelf, use beautiful lampshades for lamps, etc. However, keep in mind that the sleeping area is designed for relaxation, so do not overload it with too bright flowers.
How to properly zone the space
Previously, folding furniture was trendy when zoning space. It is relevant to this day, but the accelerating pace of life is making its adjustments. For a modern person, convenience is essential, achieved with the least amount of time. And this is possible in any room, large or small. How can a room be divided into two zones, a living room, and a bedroom:
- Plasterboard partitions are the most popular and inexpensive method of restricting a room. You will get two full rooms instead of one. Plasterboard is a lightweight and easy-to-install material, and the structure of the partition does not require the installation of doors that only litter the space. Instead, you can make a drywall arch.
- The second option is a frosted glass partition. She will divide the room into a living room and a bedroom but will not block the natural light coming from the windows. Space will remain light and bright. Such a partition can be sliding.
- You can use racks in a small room; they will divide the room in half (or in other proportions) and be pretty functional. On the shelves, you can store various valuable things in everyday life.
A lighter version, which is somewhat symbolic, is thin curtains, screens, and curtains made of beaded threads. If necessary, move aside or rise.
- It will be interesting to look at the border built of fresh flowers – floor pots with indoor plants. But this option is not very suitable for apartments with small children and pets.
In addition to a physically tangible partition, you can delimit a room into two parts using different walls, floors, and ceilings. The difference may lie in the contrast of colors or textures, and there are no rules here; it all depends on your imagination. The only thing that matters is the harmonious combination. For the living room, keep the brighter and lighter colors, while the bedroom is more suitable for darker, not irritating to the eyes, shades.
Does it make a difference where to put the bed?
The location of the bedroom is significant; everyone wants to get a good night’s sleep on weekends and even more so before a new workday. Few people like it when people constantly walk by them, so it is better to put a sofa or bed by the window.
If there is not much difference between natural light and artificial light, and the door in the living room is not in the middle of the wall, it is better to choose the corner farthest from the doorway for the bed. The very same berth can be fenced off with a curtain.
So, after looking at many photos where the living room and bedroom are located in the same room, you can deduce several vital points: harmony, functionality, compactness. The rest is a matter of taste.